1.‘One Nation One Ration Card’ scheme will be available across the country from July 1, 2020
The central government’s ambitious project of ‘One Nation One Ration Card’, under which beneficiaries can buy subsidized foodgrains from any ration shop in the country will begin on 1 July 2020
- Deadline: The Centre has given states and Union Territories time till June 30, 2020, to use point of sale (PoS) machines in the ration shops and roll out the scheme.
- Present status: 77% of the ration shops across the country have PoS machines.
iii. Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana, and Tripura are the states already providing portability of Public Distribution System (PDS) entitlements.
- NSA: Since November 2016, the government is implementing the National Food Security Act (NSA), under which foodgrains are supplied every month at highly subsidized rates of Rs 1–3 per kg to over 80 crore people.
- Fortified Grains: Distribution of fortified rice under the PDS on a pilot basis in one district each in 15 states from October-November
2.Overview Of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Visit To Japan To Attend The G20 Summit 2019, Osaka, Japan
- The G20 (Group of 20) Summit 2019 was held at the International Exhibition Center, Osaka, Japan on June 28-29, 2019. It was the 14th meeting of the G20. The 2018 G20 Summit was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina and the 2020 G20 Summit will be held in the city of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- PM Modi discussed about India’s traditional healing measures, Yoga and his flagship Ayushman Bharat health scheme.
- G20 countries were invited to join global coalition on disaster resilience named ‘International Coalition on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure’.
- PM Modi outlined 5 I vision in G-20 meet at Osaka to maximize digital technology for social benefit. The 5 ‘I’s (5I Vision) are — Inclusiveness, Indigenisation, Innovation, Investment in infrastructure & International cooperation.
- Over the next five years, India aims to become a 5 trillion dollar economy and setting up of 50,000 start-ups in 5 years was the goal.
- India is also planning to run its first bullet train between Mumbai and Ahmedabad with Japan’s help.
♦ Capital: Tokyo
♦ Currency: Japanese Yen
3.2nd anniversary of GST celebrated on July 1, 2019
On July 1, 2019, The Government of India celebrated the 2nd anniversary of GST(Goods and Services Tax). On this occasion, the Finance Ministry, Government of India introduced the new return system on a trial basis on this day, which will come into force from 1st of October, 2019.
4.Jal Shakti Abhiyan launched by the Government to create awareness on benefits of water conservation
On July 1, 2019, Union Jal Shakti Minister, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, launched the Jal Shakti Abhiyan(JSA)- a campaign for water conservation and water security in New Delhi. It will focus on 256 water stressed districts and 1,592 water stressed blocks.
- Launched in two phases, the first phase is between July 1, 2019, and September 15, 2019, for all participating States and the second phase, will be from October 1 to November 30, 2019, for States with a retreating monsoon.
- The 5 key intervention areas under the campaign include water conservation and rainwater harvesting, renovation of traditional and other water bodies, reuse, bore well recharge structures, watershed development, and intensive afforestation.
iii. A large-scale communications campaign was also planned by the department alongside the JSA.
About Ministry of Jal Shakti:
♦ Founded: 31 May 2019
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi
5.N.S. Vishwanathan reappointed RBI deputy governor for one year
N S Vishwanathan was re-appointed as the deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for one more year with effect from July 4, 2019.
- He is in charge of regulation of banks, non-banking finance companies, and cooperative banks.
- Besides N S Vishwanathan, B P Kanungo and M K Jain were the two other deputy governors of RBI.
iii. He is also a member of the BimalJalan committee which looks into the appropriate economic capital framework for RBI.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
♦ Set up on 1st April,1935
♦ Governor – Shaktikanta Das
6.Dr. Krishna Saksena’s book ‘Whispers of Time’ launched by SmritiIrani in New Delhi
On July 1, 2019, Minister of Textiles and Minister of Women and Child Development, SmritiZubin Iranilaunched new book ‘Whispers of Time’ written by Dr. Krishna Saksena (91) at India International Centre in New Delhi.
- The book was published by PrabhatPrakashan.
- It is the ninth book of Saksena, and it talks about her experiences and observations in her long life of ninety years.
iii. Saksena, a professor at Delhi University, the first woman candidate from Uttar Pradesh to get a Ph.D. degree in English Literature in 1955.
7.Ending the use of Single-use plastic shopping bags by New Zealand government kicks in
In order to tackle plastic pollution, the Government of New Zealand has officially banned single-use plastic shopping bags with effect from 1 July 2019. It also introduced the hefty fines of up to 100,000 New Zealand dollar (USD 67,000) for businesses that continue to provide them.
About New Zealand
♦ Capital: Wellington
♦ Prime minister: JacindaArdern
8.UIDAI started its first AadhaarSeva Kendra in Delhi and Vijayawada
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has operationalized its first “AadhaarSeva Kendra” (ASKs) in Delhi and Vijayawada on a pilot basis. UIDAI has a plan to set up 114 such centres by the end of 2019 covering 53 Indian cities. The estimated cost of the project is between Rs 300-400 crore. These centers are similar to the concept of Passport SevaKendras.
♦ CEO: Ajay Bhushan Pandey
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi
♦ Founded: 28 January 2009
♦ Ministry: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
9.India ranks 86th in Most Powerful Passport index 2019, Japan and Singapore holding the top spot
As per the recently released Henley Passport Index 2019, which ranks 199 countries in the world based on their Visa-Free Scores showed that Indian passport ranked at 86th position with a mobility score of 58. Japan and Singapore secured the joint top spot as the most powerful passports in the world with a score of 189.
10.Harideesh Kumar appointed as the Director of Institute of Banking Personnel Selection
B Harideesh Kumar has been appointed as director of Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) for a period of three years. He hails from Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka. Earlier he served as the Executive Director of Canara Bank. He succeeded AnupSankar Bhattacharya, who has retired from his services.
♦ Chairman – Rajkiran Rai G
♦ In 1984, the National Institute of Bank Management (NIBM) department that handled the test was converted into the IBPS.
11.Highlights of Union Budget 2019-20
On July 5, 2019, Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman made her maiden Budget Speech and presented the Union Budget 2019-20 in the Lok Sabha. She broke away from the tradition when she replaced the conventional leather briefcase with a bright red cloth bag to carry the Budget papers to the Parliament House. “Gaon, Garib and Kisan” (Village, Poor, and Farmer) was the centre of all policies of the Modi 2.0 Government.
Key Highlights of the Budget 2019-20:-
10-point Vision for the decade
- Building Team India with Jan Bhagidari: Minimum Government Maximum Governance.
- Achieving green Mother Earth and Blue Skies through a pollution-free India.
- Making Digital India reach every sector of the economy.
- Launching Gaganyan, Chandrayan, other Space and Satellite programmes.
- Building physical and social infrastructure.
- Water, water management, clean rivers.
- Blue Economy.
- Self-sufficiency and export of food-grains, pulses, oilseeds, fruits and vegetables.
- Achieving a healthy society via Ayushman Bharat, well-nourished women & children, safety of citizens.
12.Pink City Jaipur Declared As A World Heritage Site By UNESCO
At the 43rd Session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee which is underway from June 30 to July 10, 2019 in Baku, Azerbaijan, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) added the ‘Pink City’ Jaipur/Walled City of Jaipur of Rajasthan, known for its iconic architectural legacy, into the list of the World Heritage Sites.
♦ Headquarters: Paris, France
♦ Director General: Audrey Azoulay
♦ Capital: Jaipur
♦ Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
♦ Governor: Kalyan Singh
♦ National Parks: Mukundra Hills (Darrah) National Park, Desert National Park, Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Ranthambhore National Park, Sariska National Park
♦ Wildlife Sanctuaries: Mount Abu WLS, Nahargarh WLS, Kesarbagh WLS, Sariska WLS, Van Vihar WLS, Sawai Man Singh WLS etc
13.Operation Sudarshan launched by BSF to fortify the anti-infiltration grid along Pakistan border
The operation, code named ‘Sudarshan’ was launched by the Border Security Force (BSF) to fortify Anti-Infiltration Grid along the Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu. The massive exercise commenced on July 1, 2019.
14.Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express to be first train operated by private players
Delhi-Lucknow Tejas Express, one of the most-awaited trains on the route announced in 2016, is set to be the first train to be operated by private players. At present, it is parked at the Anandnagar Railway Stationin Uttar Pradesh. It will be handed over to private players after an open bidding process for operationalization.
About Indian Railways:
♦ Union Minister of Railway: Piyush Goyal
♦ Chairman of Railway Board: Vinod Kumar Yadav
15.Under ‘Operation Milap’, the Delhi Police Crime Branch has rescued 333 children in 7 months
The Delhi Police Crime Branch has rescued 333 children, who had reported missing since January 2019 from various parts of the country. The crime branch took ‘Operation Milap’ under which the children are rescued and reunited with their respective families.
- Recovery: Delhi police have also recovered 57 people, including 14 minors, who were kidnapped, abducted, or went missing from various areas in the national capital.
ii Rescue Spot: The children are mostly rescued from bus stands, railway stations and other crowded places in the city.
iii. Operation Milap: It was launched in December 2014 with the aim to rescue children. Anti-Human Trafficking Unit (AHTU) has formed under the ‘Milap’ develops information, rescues the trafficked or kidnapped children and arrests the kidnappers.
- Advice: Under this ambitious initiative, counseling& requisite medical attention has also been given to the rescued children wherever required.
Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
Lt. Governor: Anil Baijal
16.Sri Lanka declared ‘measles-free’ nation by WHO
On July 9, 2019, The World Health Organization (WHO) declared that measles disease has been eradicated in Sri Lanka. The last case of measles caused by an indigenous virus was reported in May 2016. Measles is a highly contagious viral disease transmitted via droplets from the nose, mouth or throat of infected persons.
- With this, it became the 4th country after Bhutan, Maldives, and Timor-Leste to eliminate measles and control rubella in the WHO South-East Asia Region.
- In 2018, Sri Lanka along with Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, and Timor-Leste had achieved rubella control.
17.Reebok announced Katrina Kaif as the new brand ambassador
On July 3, 2019, Fitness brand Reebok appointed Bollywood actor Katrina Kaif as its new brand ambassador in India. This will enhance Reebok’s commitment to be the best fitness brand in India.
18.World Population Day 2019 observed on July 11
World Population Day was observed on July 11, 2019. It creates awareness of the growing population issues. Population issue may be family planning, gender equality, child marriage, human rights, right to health, baby’s health, etc.
- It was established by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in 1989.
- It was inspired by the public interest in Five Billion Day celebrated on July 11, 1987. It was on this date, the world’s population reached five billion people.
iii. 2019 World Population Day calls for global attention of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD).
- China is the most populous country in the world followed by India.
- India’s 35% population is living in 3 states- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra.
- According to data provided by the Pew Research Center, India will try to accommodate 1450 million people in the year 2100 and will also surpass China.
♦ Headquarters: New York City, US
♦ Founded: 22 November 1965
♦ Administrator: Achim Steiner
19.SBI waives off charges for NEFT, RTGS to boost e-transactions
In a bid to move the country towards a less-cash economy, country’s largest bank, the State Bank of India(SBI) waived Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) and National Electronic Fund Transfer (NEFT)charges for its app YONO(You Only Need One), internet and mobile banking customers effective from 1 July 2019.
- It also waived off the charges for Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) from 1 August 2019.
- The directive was issued under Section 10 (2) with Section 18 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007.
iii. SBI has also reduced RTGS and NEFT service charges through branch banking by 20%. It has also waived IMPS charges for fund transfer of up to ₹1,000 through branch banking.
- Before July 1, 2019, SBI charged ₹1- ₹5 for transactions through NEFT and ₹5 to 50 for RTGS transactions.
- Background: On June 11, 2019, RBI directed banks to withdraw the charges levied on the NEFT and RTGS transactions as per the recommendation of NandanNilekani panel.
Chairperson: Rajnish Kumar
Founded: 1 July 1955
Tagline: With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us
20.SBI’s Anshula Kant appointed as MD and CFO of World Bank
On July 13, 2019, Anshula Kant, the managing director(MD) of the State Bank Of India(SBI) has been appointed as managing director (MD)and chief financial officer(CFO) of the World Bank(WB). Since September 2018 she has been a Managing Director and member of the World Bank Board.
21.Navjot Singh Sidhu resigned as Punjab Cabinet Minister
Navjot Singh Sidhu, Congress leader, resigned as Punjab Cabinet Minister from the Amarinder Singh cabinet. He had submitted the resignation letter dated June 10, 2019 addressed to the then Congress President Rahul Gandhi.
- On June 6, in a Cabinet reshuffle, Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh had divested Sidhu of the key portfolios of local government, tourism and cultural affairs and allotted him power and new and renewable energy sources ministry. But he did not assume the new charge.
- He was also left out of the consultative groups formed by the chief minister on June 8, 2019.
♦ Capital: Chandigarh
♦ Governor: V.P. Singh Badnore
♦ Wildlife Sanctuaries: Abohar WLS, BirBhadson WLS, Harike Lake WLS, JhajjarBacholi WLS, KathlaurKushlian WLS, Nangal WLS etc
22.World Youth Skills Day 2019 observed on July 15
World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was observed on July 15, 2019. It is celebrated to create awareness on the importance of investing in youth skills development. The theme for the year is “Learning to learn for life and work”.